Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Stanley Cup - it's part of my history

I love hockey. Absolutely love it. Now, that doesn't mean I know all the stats of all the players and who does what, etc. I know the big names and the general layout and all that but I basically just love watching hockey and I love playing hockey. Always have. I love my Canucks too. Yes, I know they aren't always good but they aren't always bad either and no matter what I stand behind them.

Hockey is in my blood. My maternal grandfather (my Papa), Leroy "Goldy" Goldsworthy, was in the NHL for a long time and he played in 360 games. His name is on the Stanley Cup:I've tried to highlight on the picture (no, not the actual one only the scan, no worries!) where his name is. This was when he played for the Chicago Blackhawks and it was in the 1934 season. His name is engraved on the third band that is apparently now retired to the Hockey Hall of Fame (otherwise the cup would get too big).

Papa played for many other teams including the New York Rangers, the Canadiens, Boston Bruins and the New York Americans. He also coached and was the first coach of the Texans hockey team which introduced Dallas to hockey in 1941. He also played pro ball and golf. He was the most amazing man I ever knew and the day he passed away was one of the hardest in my life. He died quite a long time ago but to me he will always be a great man and not because he played pro sports for 42 years consecultively or because he's in the Edmonton Sports Hall of Fame or even because he's on the Stanley Cup. My Papa was a great man because of the way he treated me and how special he always made me feel (and I'm sure the rest of his grandchildren feel the same).

Today my children and husband, along with a good friend of ours, went to visit the Stanley Cup. Andrew Ladd of the Carolina Hurricanes is from Maple Ridge so he brought the cup home for 24 hours. My family stood in line for 2 1/2 hours to see the cup for all of 30 seconds but my dh got to touch it and he is a happy man. Here is their photo (note to dh - young children and 2 1/2 hours in line don't go hand in hand so therefore they are not happy, although you can see he is!):
Here is Andrew Ladd with the cup:

Shortly we will begin a new hockey season. There have been big changes at the Canucks yet again so who knows what will happen this year but I know that we will be watching and you never know this just might be our year. We would be in Heaven if the Canucks won in 2007 (ok, it's hokey but I couldn't think of anything else that rhymed!!).

I'm dedicating this post to my Papa....Thank you Papa! I know you and Nana are together now so I hope you're happy in the great ice rink in the sky. We miss you very much. Love your little sweetheart.