Monday, August 21, 2006

A little sun, a little water, a little red

I left my little baby boy with two trusted friends (ok, yes, it did take me a while to actually leave because he's so darned adorable and i had to keep kissing him but I finally did get out of there)for church and made sure there was dinner for the family while I was gone. Was trying to make life easier for dh while I was away. He hates cooking so I thought I'd give him a hand (plus this negated any reason for him to a) call asking what to feed the kids for dinner or b) take them to the chain run by the man with red hair and big red shoes).

Nic picked me up and off we zoomed on our adventure. We've been friends a long time (wow 26 years!) but we haven't had a lot of time together recently so we just talked and talked and interrupted that only to sing to songs we liked we they came on.

We arrived just in time for our massage. Ahhhhh, that was so great and so needed, the masseusse said my muscles were quite tight (I personally think it's our crappy mattress and so it provided me with yet another reason to go find a new one). After checking in to the hotel and our lovely room we set off for the pools. Swimming in warm water is really so nice and the therapeutic value of the hot springs can't be beat either. We had dinner in the Copper Room which was probably not a great idea since it was a little bit staid for us and a whole lot of cash. Luckily we were smart and ordered the Table D'Hote menu and that combined everything from soup and salad through to dessert for the low price of $35 each (as opposed to the other options where one entree was $35). We had butternut squash soup, some kind of lovely salad with an apple cider vinagrette, salmon with sesame ginger sauce and then white and dark chocolate terrine. Yummy. The very laid back jazz group that was there playing were pretty good if again a bit more for the Lawrence Welk set.

Two martinis later we were back in our room and watching the ending of Bridges of Madison County. Then another movie came on that I didn't want to watch but somehow ended up watching anyway and then had to finish watching even though it seemed rather laughable. It's just like bad books I still need to know the ending. Unless they are truly awful I keep slogging away hoping they will get to the point. It was Interview with a Vampire and I know there are a lot of famous people in it but I don't think it was meant to be funny and yet still I found it very amusing at times and just disturbing at other times. Besides the fact that I'm not a fan of the genre (which is why I shouldn't have watched to begin with), I thought that the acting wasn't especially good even by actors that I have seen do really well in other things. I'm sure I've just dissed a movie that many love but I'm sorry I was even disappointed in the ending and wondered why I really just stayed up til Midnight or whatever it was when Nic was over in her bed sawing logs. After that I was completely wired and couldn't sleep - I really should not watch those kinds of movies they just upset me. That and the fact that I missed my baby a lot and the pumping and dumping just really sucked.

Today we woke up early (6am and after last looking at the clock at 3 am that was too early) started talking for quite a while and then I begged for just a few more hours of sleep. Nic is a morning person, I am a night person, so she went out on the balcony to read. Then I think she came back in a crashed too so we actually didn't get out of our room until right at check-out time at 11am.

After stashing our stuff we went back out to the poolside where we stayed the rest of the day. We had cheeseburgers for breakfast (because they'd already started serving lunch) and then I called my family and had them come up and join us. It was really nice to spend some alone time with my friend and then have my dh and kids join me too (I really needed to nurse the baby but wanted to stay there). They were thrilled to play in the pools and the baby had his first ever swim which he loved since the water was warm.

I wish I was still there but am thankful for what I had. Unfortunately, I spent too much time in the sun today and am a little red because of it. Normally I don't burn so I guess it was too long and too near to water.

In the end it was just a really great trip - great friend, great weather, great water, family fun time. Tomorrow back to reality and 500 kids at Summer Kids Club. Wooohooo!