Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Smokin the Goats

I'm so wired right now. I want to sleep, I know I should sleep and I even know my body craves sleep yet my brain is wide awake.

We had some friends over for dinner, the first time for which we were here at the same time they were and I didn't make the meal this time...which is rather strange now that I think of it. When they're here and we're not I make them a meal yet when we're all here together we order in. Not too strange actually, I haven't gone grocery shopping and therefore there was precious little to cook. Although that has been the state for a few days and I have managed to come up with some fairly impressive meals out of the emptiness that is our fridge. We were too busy on the weekend to shop and I've been putting it off because we go back to the three kids and Costco or any other grocery store routine and there you have it. However, tomorrow I will have to brave some place for food. I don't know why my days just seem to be whipping by so fast.

Anyway, I had a great time tonight with my friends. We ate good food, read an interesting children's book which we decided was too scary (on many levels) to actually read to any children, let alone mine, listened to music, laughed and talked a lot. Really good, good people (and I'm not just saying that because I know they sometimes read my blog! LOL) and frankly just a really cute couple. My dh is just happy because he got to talk hockey with someone who loves it just as much as he does (maybe more) and he saw me laughing. Dh loves it when I laugh, it makes him happy to see me happy. He's a good man. I have a lot of good people around me and I am so very blessed. Wish I could remember that when my head is doing that negative swirly stuff.

So we didn't really smoke any goats or anything wild and crazy like that. They are an obscure band that I bought a cd of one day when I thought their music was kind of fun and funky. I played it for my friends, they weren't impressed! LOL It really isn't that good but still I think it is fun music. Sometimes music can just be fun. Then we played a song called Woman in Chains by Tears for Fears (yes the ones who did Shout which I don't like but let's move on) which is really an incredible song and Oleta Adams sings on it too and she's got a fantastic voice. Dh called it schmaltzy but then what does he want me to put on but Van Morrison, yeah, um "have I told you lately that I love you" - if that isn't schmaltz I don't know what is. Woman in Chains is not schmaltzy it's not even a love song. OK, so everyone has different tastes in music. Mine is all over the map. I can like a song from a band I don't like for the most part (ie Tears for Fears) and I can dislike songs from bands I do like (U2 has some of these, and actually I think their albums alternate with good and bad). I like country (mostly new country and without twang), I like pop, I like some rock, I like some alternative. For the most part I will admit to liking what I can sing to. I generally dislike dance music and rap but there are exceptions to every rule. When I was younger I wanted to be Olivia Newton John (cmon you know she was hot in Grease). So there you go. My secret's out. I hang my head in shame at the very uncool child that I was. She was just so pretty, had a lovely voice and she also got John Travolta - what more could you ask for?!