Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

So it started off as a great day. My sweet baby, little girl and I all made the ooey, gooiest cupcakes. We love these cupcakes. The baby just watched of course and #2 child helped, which she really loves to do. #2 child was even more excited because we were going to be giving some of these cupcakes to her favourite man, Mike. Yeah, he's a bit old for her and has a girlfriend but that's ok because she likes the girlfriend too. So we made cupcakes for her favourite man, his girlfriend and her best friend, well because we really like all of them and they seem a bit cupcake addicted (and really we owe them - good babysitters are hard to find these days. And no I will NOT give you their number. They are way too busy as it is! LOL). After chasing down said cupcake recipients (well two of them at least), we were feeling quite proud of ourselves.

I realize that we don't have a ton of time left before having to pick #1 child up from school (he's in a a modified curriculum where they are on three months off for one so they are in school until Thursday) and the baby is sleeping so I don't really want to go home and wake him up. I figure I'll drive for a bit to figure out what to do. Simutaneously I realize that the sun has come out and is staying out and we are all overdressed (would be nice if the weather would make up its mind). OK so why don't we go to the Superstore where we can maybe get some deals on some shorts or something for #2 child, I can pick up some batteries and some miscellaneous other items. Great, we manage to get in the store, the baby is still sleeping but #2 child takes off in opposite direction from me (which is why I normally have her in the seat even though she really is getting to big for it). She is fast I'm telling you and I was getting more than a bit annoyed. She is desperately seeking a dress. That's all she wants, well that or anything with a princess on it. She doesn't want shorts, just a dress that she can wear to more than just Church. OK fine they are all on sale ($9.50 woohoo!) so why not. The problem is they are all way too big for her and she only wants a pink one. When we find the clothes her size I realize there are no dresses. Aha, there are pretty skirts, wouldn't #2 child like a pretty skirt ($6 so still a good deal) instead. No. Only a dress. We've had this problem for months really. #2 child loves dresses, loves them. Only it appears they aren't making dresses this year, just a lot of separates. Well, yes, there are fancy party dresses but I'm talking just nice simple little dresses, even a sundress for goodness sakes. So by now I realize that this isn't going to work and oh crap look at the time we have to go get #1 child right now. Meanwhile #2 child is very upset and starts with the whine. I hate the whine and really she should know that. So I say fine, not only aren't you getting a dress now you're not getting the pretty skirt either and out the door we go. By the time we manouver out of the parking lot and through Maple Ridge we are now late getting #1 child and he is unhappy. We are 7 minutes late and you'd think I was 7 hours by the way #1 child acted. "I waited and waited and waited and you never came - where were you?". OK, rightfully upset as normally his Mommy is always there waiting for him and he doesn't have to question that so I can see he was a bit worried but the drama of it all (I think he gets that from me but I will never admit that if you ask me to my face). His teacher was there as were some other kids so he wasn't all alone. However, I was feeling a bit stressed and frankly a bit guilty as I should have known I couldn't fit this all in the time alotted.

On to part three, I decide I'll head to Costco and dh can meet up with us there on his way home from work. I can't deal with Costco and three kids all by myself. I HAVE done it but I don't like to do it and if you are one of those mom's who can take more than two children anywhere and are still relaxed please don't write and tell me that. I'm sure you are a saint. I am not. So I confer with dh via cell and he thinks he can get there about 15 minutes after me so that is fine. Meanwhile I get in to a right hand turn lane but there is a car stopped there. I wait and can't seem to figure out what the problem is so I signal to go in to the left lane so I can go around but the car starts moving. Great. I stay in the lane and follow the car who turns on the next street and then slows down again and we slowly (oh so slowly) make our way to the next driveway where we are both turning (as I wanted to stop at the gas station). I figure this person is having car trouble or maybe is ill because she appears a bit older. Yes, she stops right at the entrance to the driveway. Fine, I pull up beside her to see if she needs help. Here is our conversation:
Me, being pleasant: "Are you ok?"
Her: "What's your problem?"
Me, still trying to be pleasant: "It looked like you were having some kind of trouble so I wanted to see if you were ok?"
Her: "It looked like you were the one with the problem"
Me, perplexed: "Nope, I just wanted to make sure you were ok."
Her: something I didn't understand as just then someone else honked at us because we were blocking the drive.

So, I drive to the gas station and am throwing away all the garbage in the car (I was trying to stall for time before meeting dh) and I'm just getting more and more mad. I mean what do you mean "What's your problem?"!!! I'm trying to be nice for crying out loud (and that's not the word I was thinking but this is a public space and I'm sure impressionable people might read it so that's what I'm using)!!! Here I am thinking I should help this poor lady and I guess I'm bad for being concerned that she was at an absolute standstill in the middle of a right hand turn lane with about 20 feet still to go before the turn. Then her car slows down again. She looks older, possibly frail (HA!), perhaps I should be a good citizen and make sure she isn't having a heart attack or something. So that's it. I drove home after that. I think it was just a sign that I was not meant to take my three kids to Costco because I am obviously not in the mood to handle anything today. I was in a good mood, I really was. What the heck is wrong with me? Sigh.

There's more but I won't bore you with the details. Sufficed to say, I think I need to go back to bed and wake up all over again. Maybe I should try climbing out the other side. Maybe the freaky weather lately has people all weirded out. Maybe I need a vacation. Maybe, just maybe, I need a mommy break. Or a stupid people break. Or both.