Friday, August 18, 2006

2 more sleeps


That's what the messages from Nicolette have been every day. Last night it was a phone message where all she said was 3 sleeps. The day before it was an email with 4 sleeps. We're not excited or anything.

What more could two mothers of three want but a night away on their own? Well that'd be this http://www.harrisonresort.com/spa_massage.aspx but hopefully it's not too weird that we're having the couples massage.
Although we are not an official "couple" (ROFL) we are a couple of friends who don't get to spend any time together and want to chat while we are being massaged. Or we might not. Who knows. We've been friends for 25 years so we just make these things up as we go along.

I think I've mentioned that we've done this before...gone to Harrison, not the couples massage...but the first time we went is an experience I won't soon forget...While we were in a local watering hole having our martinis a couple of inebriated women came in and thought they would join us. They didn't take our no thank you and sat down anyway. Then as I was up at the bar trying to get away from them one of them decided I was, er, cute. She also decided she was going to dance with me very closely. To say I was completley shocked, freaked out and more was not even close to what I actually felt. When I sat back down she was practically in my lap and telling me how cute I was. Something about my big eyes (frankly I felt like I was little Red Riding Hood and she was the wolf!) and then around there I checked out because she wouldn't back off of my space.

If this was a guy I would probably have handled it better but this was a very drunk and/or drugged (I suspect the latter because of her eyes) woman who could probably hurt me and I was frankly scared. Nicolette very firmly told her to back off (and all props to her this is the toughest I've ever seen Nic get and she was taking care of me because as I said I decided to pretend that all was good with the world - which was very weird since I'm normally the take charge person and she sits back but what are you going to do, weird situation, weird reaction all the way around) and then well the girls got upset. They finally went back to their own table but they were quite pissed (as in mad) and when the waitstaff realized we were not friends (um hello yeah not even close and thanks for the insult) and that these "ladies" were now causing trouble by trying to drink their own beverages (that they had brought in) in the bar they were kindly asked to leave. Well they didn't like that at all and next thing I know they are coming at our table and they sent it flying. I swear it was like some bad cowboy movie and the table overturned and booze and glass went everywhere before they were dragged out by the staff. Scary thing was these women were supposedly out looking for food for their kids which they'd left in their hotel room! Nice, eh?!

Nic and I just sat there in shock. I mean complete and utter shock. None of that had really happened had it? I mean c'mon we were nice girls just trying to take a break from our families not start a brawl in a very quaint pub in Harrison Hot Springs! Here we were sitting in our booth with our table tipped over and covered in carmel apple martinis. The server brought as two more drinks and we cleaned up as best we could but we were so scared to walk back to our hotel because we thought those girls might be laying in wait for us. We made the staff watch us go back across the street and I think we ran all the way.

The next day we went to the lagoon to float on our log (no it wasn't really ours but we claimed it for the day, which was our second mistake of the weekend) and just chill out in general (also getting bitten by some kind of sand flea for which we had no idea until we got out and were on our way home and covered in bites, thanks to "our log"). As we were leaving we see these kids chasing pages of newspapers and we were thinking they were so cute. We were laughing at them and the woman who was also chasing the papers....until she looked up and said "OH MY GOD!" At that point Nic and I hightailed it out of there as if we were being chased (and we're not sure we might have been but we did not stop to look). Yes, it was one of the "ladies" from the night before. Like she had the right to say "OMG". What the heck did we do?!

Ah yes, it was very traumatic but we still go back to Harrison although now we go to a different hotel and we haven't gone back to that pub. It's a bit sad really as prior to that the pub held good memories for me since it's the first place dh and I were after we got engaged (he asked me to marry him when we were in Harrison) and they gave us free shooters. Good times, good times.

I will miss my kids a lot. This is the first time I will ever be away from the baby and it will probably be hard to be away from this sweet face...










and these ones:











Anyway, two more sleeps!