Saturday, August 26, 2006

Saying Goodbye

This weekend I have to say goodbye to a friend. It's not goodbye forever, nor is she going very far but she is moving on in her life journey and that's big. It's big for her and it's big for her very close long-time friends who are sad to see her go but excited for her at the same time. Although we haven't been friends for a long-time and I'm not as close to her as those previously mentioned we have made a connection over the last year or so. We don't go out and party, or even go for coffee on a regular basis, in fact we often only see each other at Church, but I am so glad she is in my life. We go out for lunch once in a while, she & L came to visit me when the baby was born, we talk about music and even though we have different tastes in music it's ok. I think my oldest son has a crush on her, just as my daughter has a crush on the cupcake man and the baby is lovin' H's friend L.

H is a truly talented individual with a strong love for the Lord and a passion for where her life is leading her. Unlike me she is capable of keeping her emotions in check and letting them out in private. However, as I watched her running Kid's Camp over this last week (and may I say she did an absolutely amazing job and I'm very proud of her!) I saw a bit of doubt creep in to her eyes as she faces leaving a place of security where she has belonged for so very long. This is home to her, this is where she knows who she is and what she needs to do, it is safe. Safe is hard to leave but sometimes we need to step out of the boat and she is doing that even though it is scary. Again, I say how very proud I am of her. I feel like a big sister and in a way I want to protect her and yet I also know she doesn't need it.

I know I will hear about H's new journey through her blog, through L and through email and I also know she will be just great in her new role as Worship Leader (in charge of everything - woohoo you go girl!) but I will miss her. I will miss seeing her up on stage, hearing her joy of the Lord coming through in her voice and performance and basically it will just be weird not seeing her every week. Considering that is how this is affecting me, I know it is affecting L and her other friends even more. That is the kind of person she is - she has touched so many lives and we are all richer for it.

I heard this song the other day and it seems to fit:

Through the back window of a '59 wagon
I watched my best friend Jamie slippin' further away
I kept on waving 'till I couldn't see her
And through my tears, I asked again why we couldn't stay
Mama whispered softly, Time will ease your pain
Life's about changing, nothing ever stays the same

And she said, How can I help you to say goodbye?
It's OK to hurt, and it's OK to cry
Come, let me hold you and I will try
How can I help you to say goodbye?