Thursday, August 31, 2006

A Camping we will go...

OK, well technically it's not camping since we're staying in a cabin and it has a full kitchen and bedrooms. It's as close to camping as I really like to get. I'm not a good camper. My dh on the other hand could happily sleep in a sleeping bag under the stars surrounded by bears. One time he even slept on a baseball diamond surrounded by sprinklers but that's a story for another time. I said if we got one of those tent trailers I might consider camping again. I don't like being on the ground, it's too close to the bugs. I don't like bugs, especially spiders.

I really did try to like it. I even bought dh a nice tent for Father's Day one year and off we went camping a few times. The last time we went we ended up at the same campground as his boss (and considering we were living in Calgary at the time and camping in Salmon Arm that is very odd), I was pregnant with child #2, the wasps were swarming and we had to put pop cans out in strategic places to lure them away, #1 child fell in the fire pit and gashed his head on the metal ring they surround them with and somehow we didn't have our tent but dh's dad smaller, smellier tent. Add to that the bladder that #2 child was sitting on and me having to crawl out of the tent a million times a night and well it wasn't fun. So our tent was relegated to the backyard and campouts between the kids and dh and I could stay safe and sound indoors with plumbing and, hopefully, no bugs.

We have been wanting a little mini vacation for our family but didn't want to go far because travelling with three small kids on a long weekend is never good for anyone, least of all me! We decided on Cultus Lake and have rented a cabin there. It looks to be a cute little place and it is right across from the beach and not far up the street is a playground. The kids will love it and I don't have to try to figure out how to get the baby to sleep in a tent with the other two kids. They can go to sleep at their usual times in a room of their own and we can stay up and not worry about it. Plus there's a bathroom right there and I won't have to crawl out of a tent on my hands and knees, frantically searching for my glasses and shoes just to stumble off to the communal bathroom with one of the kids in the middle of the night.

I'm not really a princess or even a girly, girl but when it comes to anything where I have to be that close to bugs and nature (or sharing a bathroom, or worse a stinky outhouse, with hundreds of others) I'd rather do it comfortably. Or preferrably not at all. The one time in my life that I am a princess about things is on vacations. I'd really rather go to a nice hotel, particularly one with a swim up pool bar and lots of sunshine. I don't mind trudging around doing stuff but I want to come back to sleep in comfort and, frankly, pee in private.

With this cottage this weekend there's a full kitchen and a bbq so I'm planning some yummy meals like Grilled Balsamic Chicken salad, Grilled Italian Polenta with fresh tomatoes and Steak with Soy Lime Marinade. I'm saving the last one to serve on Sunday when we have some friends coming to join us (if you are reading this I changed my mind and I might do it again but that's where it is right now! LOL). Yes, I can cook these things at home but somehow it sounds much more exciting when you make them in a cottage by a lake.

Hope you all have a great long weekend!