Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Bball, strawberries and Mike

#1 child is at basketball camp this week. I thought he would be scared since he doesn't know anyone but he bounded in and just set to playing basketball (which he's never really played before except messing around with Daddy). It turns out he does have a friend there that he knows but since he arrived after #1 child already entered the gym we didn't know that at the time. Therefore I was proud that my child is so secure in himself that he had no problems trying something new, something where I would not be with him. He's really just that kind of kid. When he started a new school this past June with only two months left of the school year (this is a three month on, one off school) he stood there that morning with no fear showing on his face while the teacher let the students in to meet him. Now starting at school that far in to the school year when friendships are already formed is tough but even though I think he was a bit scared inside he just went about making friends. Just a few weeks later he had his birthday party and every person he invited from his class came. He makes friends easily, my big guy, and that makes me happy. It's amazing to see him growing up before my very eyes, hard to believe he was once as little as #3 child - it's going so fast. Since #1 child is the one I'm learning everything with I can only pray I'm doing it right, or as right as I can.

So at the end of each day at basketball camp they give out candy to the kids (yeah, not really my idea of a good thing but hey it obviously works for them) and #1 child always makes sure to get a piece of candy for #2 child. She does it for him to when she gets something and he's not there, it's very sweet how much they love each other. Anyway, #2 puts the candy in her mouth, she's very excited and says...

"It's strawberry. I love strawberries....and Mike."