Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Food of love

I've not been a good blogger, but truthfully I am just too busy right now.

I have been trying out some new recipes lately. I didn't take a picture of the first one, which is Grilled Corn and Sausage Flatbread - which I made without sausage because I don't like sausage. Instead, along with the portobello and tomatoes, I used eggplant. Also, I made my own pizza dough rather than using storebought and used green chiles instead of jalapenos. In the yogurt sauce, I used garlic instead of scallions. Basically, I made minor changes, but the results were so yummy that it surprised me. These will likely become a new favourite. The kids weren't as enthused as dh and I, mostly about the mushroom and eggplant, but they liked the flatbread on its own.

On Sunday, we had a friend over and I tried another new recipe. I always browse SPUD to see what they have special on and sometimes I try new things. This time they had figs on special, so I thought I'd try them. I've never cooked with figs before but I found this recipe for Warm Black Mission Figs, Walnut Crunch and Blue Cheese Tartlets. Combining my love for several different things.They probably don't look as deliscious on this tray as they did in real life (you can click on the photo for a closer look), but let me tell you they were amazing. Really, they could be a new addiction and they weren't hard to make.

Here's the view of the whole dinner:

As you can see, there are no vegetables. I was going to do some, but by the time we got the kids down, everything else was ready to go and I had forgotten to put any veggies on. The consensus was we were going to eat a fairly unhealthy, but yummy dinner. This is grilled steak with sesame sauce (Sandi Richards Cooking for the Rushed Getting through the Summer) on fettucine. I decided that these tartlets were both good for an appetizer and as a dessert. And I was right. :-D