Friday, June 27, 2008

On Being Mellow

Most of you who know me know that "mellow" isn't a word often used to describe me. Or perhaps never would be more accurate.

Today my wonderful cousin called me and left me a voice mail with a clip from ONJ's "Have You Never Been Mellow" and told me that is the way I am supposed to start each day, or that it was my new ritual. It made me smile. A lot.

Growing up R and I were inseparable up at our cabin in Jasper and whenever our families got together, which was fairly often for a while. As far as cousins go we were pretty tight. We were the babies (well, I am the baby, but he was close enough - sorry R, just had to add that in) of the whole family and whatever we did, we did it together. Including almost crashing a golf cart at Galagher's Canyon. Might I add that my loving cousin jumped out of the cart HE was driving and left his baby cousin to fend for herself as the out-of-control cart zipped through the wet grass towards a tree. My short life passed before my eyes as I, too, bailed out of the cart. Sufficed to say I think I walked back to the clubhouse. I think R apologised once or maybe a hundred times, but I was still mad. I did forgive him shortly afterwards, he was hard to stay mad at.

Anyway, back in the day I loved Olivia Newton John. After I saw Grease, I loved her more. You may laugh and scoff, but let me tell you I wanted to be her when I grew up. To be so beautiful and talented. Sigh.

So here she is, singing "Have You never Been Mellow"... (the sync is off, but it's still cool)



R is hoping this form of therapy will help to lower my blood pressure. He might be right! :-D