Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Good News and The Bad News

The good news is I lost 5 pounds without even trying. The bad news is that it's likely because my body is fucked up.

Yep, I said a bad word. And I'm not going to take it back. I apologise to anyone who I may offend with it, but that's the only way to describe what's happening.

After a lovely morning laughing with a friend, I was feeling very tired. I've been very tired a lot lately, but you know we moved, I've not been sleeping well, we have a jam packed schedule, and we're just overall crazy. Still, I was feeling absolutely exhausted. So, after I put Josh down for his nap I lay down on the couch with Mckenna. Now that may not seem weird to some of you, but I am not a napper. I don't nap. Not really even when I was pregnant. I just have too much to do. But I did today, even though every five minutes Mckenna woke me up to "ask" me something, or tell me I was snoring. Ha. Whatever. I'm tired and stuffed up from allergies. What can I say?

Anyway, after I picked Aidan up from school I took my blood glucose reading. Oh yes, I've been doing that for about a week because I'm considered pre-diabetic and they wanted to monitor me. I'm eating the right things (mostly, yes, I do slip occassionaly), so I was thinking "piece of cake - they've got nothing on me". The first reading last week was 4.6 or something low. Excellent. But then over the past week it's been rising, until it hit 11.9 the other day. I started taking the test twice a day, one a fasting in the morning and one about 2-3 hours after lunch. Just wanting to make sure. The fasting ones were fairly high, but I was trying not to be worried. After all when I have them in the lab, I'm still borderline.

So I take the test after I pick up Aidan and it was higher than 11 again. 3 hours after lunch. It should less than 8 if you aren't diabetic, less than 10 if you are. Ahem. Add to that I felt like complete crap. My chest was tight and I felt very lightheaded. I called Steve to see where he was because I had an appointment at 4:30 for chiro and thought maybe I could zip in to the clinic and see someone first. Luckily he was in Maple Ridge and almost home (that never happens, normally he's stuck in traffic and running late) and thankfully there was no wait in the clinic.

The doctor was not a happy camper. My blood pressure was 180 over 120. Not good. Very bad. Maybe that's why I've been feeling like my body, head and eyes are going to explode lately. I am now on blood pressure medicine and medicine for diabetes control.

But hey - I lost 5 pounds!