Friday, January 12, 2007

Driving in the Snow

I actually like snow, especially white, pretty snow like we have just received (again - sheesh, is this Vancouver??). Unfortunately, most people here don't know how to drive in snow and they are absolutely nutso. Nutso I tell you.

I had to go out on Wednesday morning as I had an appointment that could not be missed, so I bundled up #2 and 3 (#1 was safely esconced at school) and off we went. I gave myself plenty of time to allow for the weather (which at that point was snowing steadily). Apparently other people did not. We first slow down and then stop behind a police car and I can see a tow truck with lights flashing but no accident or anything else. All of a sudden I realise there is a car being pulled up from a ditch. Nice. I sit and wait patiently (oddly enough not one of my strong suits). Cars behind me are manouvering to turn around and go another way.

Finally we move on and start rolling. A four by four blows by me, passing without a lot of time to spare with oncoming traffic and practical white-out conditions. Yes, I held my breath. I thankfully made it to my destination safe and sound.

On the return trip I ended up behind one of those road scraper dudes and another truck laying dirt down. It was slow going. Very slow going. Once again, I was patient (geez where is this patience when my daughter is driving me batty? LOL). They turned up a side road and I continued on. Once again a four wheel drive passes me (I am not driving slow, I think I am actually doing the posted limit, which is good considering the conditions). I shake my head. What an idiot. Shortly afterwards we are behind Brookfield Farm and what do I see but a 4 wheel drive stuck nose down in the property. FarmMom, if you are reading this - did you guys see that truck or was it pulled out before you got back there?

Then I saw someone swerving around the corner by the dykes and barely make it without ending up in the same ditch that the car was dragged out of earlier and as he goes by me he's smoking! Yeah, cause it's always good to drive that fast around that corner with only one hand on the wheel in these conditions. Wonder why he didn't have control of his vehicle? Hmmm.

Moral of the story - just because you have a 4-wheel drive does not mean you can drive like a maniac in crappy conditions and survive. You are putting yourself and others at risk. Sheesh, use some brains. 4-wheel drive is not some magic conditions that puts a wall of safety around you. And lastly, use two hands and slow down.

OK, I feel better now. Rant over.