Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Bootcamp

Yep, I did it. I joined a fitness bootcamp. Last night was the first night and it was wet and cold. Did I think about not going because it was raining and I had friends coming over for dinner at 7:30 when bootcamp started at 6? Yes. How many times did I think I wouldn't go? A lot.

All through prepping dinner, so I could just pop it in when I got home and take a shower, I thought how much easier it would be if I just stayed home. I had so much to do. It was pouring rain. It would be super tight to get it organised before our friends arrived. Lots of reasons.

Did I go? Yes, I did. I think I went because I'm finally doing this for me. As much as I didn't want to go I did want to go because I want results this year. Because I want to get fit. Because I want energy to keep up with my kids, because I want to feel good.

Was it hard? Yeah, it pretty much kicked my butt. I was wetter than I've ever been with clothes on. I could wring out my mittens. I did ok at the strength training but the cardio just about killed me. We did sprinting, short and long. We did weights and push ups (hah - not going to happen my friend!). We did squats and some kind of iron seat thing against a wall and squeezing in your legs and let me tell you how that burned. We ran laps. Well I say "we" but technically I jogged a 1/4 lap and speed walked the rest.

I was happy to know that I wasn't last. It wasn't a competition by any means but you know there is the front of the group and the middle and the back. I was in the back but I wasn't at the end. Small victories I guess. We did step-ups, more strength training against the wall, lunges, and all sorts of things that were supposed to be stretches that felt more like torture. I'm not very good at stretching. We did a lot of stuff that I can't remember.

I left 15 minutes early (the class ends at 7:15) so I could come back to finish the dinner. I came home soaked the bone but felt great. I felt great!! Even after my shower I was still cold but wed had guests for dinner so there was no time to think about it. Which was probably good. Good wine, good food, good conversation probably helped to distract me from the pain I was only just starting to feel. It was a great night.

This morning, I'm not sure anything can distract me. I hurt in places I didn't know I had. Just standing up from sitting, ouch. Going up our stairs, which are quite steep imo, brutal. My back shoulder blades ache. THe only thing that doesn't hurt is my stomach and I think that's only because I didn't do the crunches right.

Next bootcamp is tomorrow. I hope that I can recover to get back there.

Labels: