Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Ahh, the giving of Thanks

Having just finished my leftover turkey lunch I thought it was appropritate to write about our Thanksgiving. It was fun and yummy and a good time was had by all. It was a quiet year this year and it was only us and Nic and Harald but that was really nice for a change. I started doing Thanksgiving dinners in my early 20's for all my friends without homes or family's close by and it just grew as people got married, hooked up or basically just brought more people! LOL. The biggest I did was 18 people and that was too much. By the time I got done heating everything up the first thing was starting to get cold again and, at the time, I had an eensy weensy kitchen that was just not made for that amount of work.

I like cooking Thanksgiving dinner (well, except for when I'm pregnant because stuffing the raw turkey is just too much for me) and find it very relaxing to cook. I used to make a big deal about it and start cooking the day before (usually because I used to make two or three different kinds of pies) but now I have it down and just putter away on that day. I try to change it up a bit every year but we always have my Wild Drunken Yams, mashed potatoes, gravy, turkey of course (I use the Look bags and they are excellent), carrots (this year I made my Nana's sukotash), brussel sprouts (we actually like them) and some miscellaneous other items. This year I cheated on the pies and had Nic bring them. And she cheated and bought them BUT I made whipped cream for them. I also made my own homemade cranberry sauce (for the turkey not the pie! LOL) which is so easy peasy and tastes way better.

I am thankful for a lot this year...my wonderful husband who is my best friend, my beautiful (inside and out) children including my sweetie #3 who was still floating inside me this time last year, my family and friends. I give thanks and all the credit to the Lord who helps me every day to see what He has given me.