Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Mother Sounds

The last few days have been crazy. I find one day where I can write and write and then it stops and I can't seem to write for days.

In addition this baby hasn't decided whether it's coming or going. Yes, that's my polite way of saying the pregnancy seems to be threatened. We are doing all we can but right now it's in God's hands.

I had to write an entry for a scholarship grant that I want for my schooling. Here it is:

Mother Sounds
By Michelle Puffer

Stat, down the hallway. The buzzer is ringing; I must get there. I've just signed in and there's no time to lose. Ah yes, here's the room. I walk in taking in the scene before me. The woman crying out in pain and the man looking on in a daze. She looks at me, begging me to stop this torture. I cannot, for it is nature at its best. I smile and reassure her, I smooth her brow with a wet cloth. Checking her vitals I tell the couple that we are almost there. Just a few more minutes, maybe half an hour and we will be ready to go. You can do it, look how far you've come. Turning to wash up I notice the nervous grandmother sitting in a corner. I smile at her and say, "It's almost show time." She tells me how, in her day, it was nothing like this. Nodding because I know how different this seems, I start to get ready. I page the staff that will need to be in attendance and check my figures one more time.

Here we go…I hear the patient grunting. That's it! One, two, three. You can do it. Breathe. Ok, relax now, gather your strength. One more time and on it goes. The baby is crowning, here it comes. Careful now, slowly. We've got it. It's a boy! Wiping the wee child and having the Father cut the cord; I tenderly place the babe on his Mom's chest. She looks at her husband and starts to cry. Tears of joy accompany every face in the room and Grandma is in awe. We have just witnessed another miracle and we know how lucky we are.

Walking home I am tired but content. Once again I have been part of something so very incredible. This is my job, to help others deliver new life in to the world. I am a nurse/midwife and this almost always has a happy ending. Yet, for those times that it doesn't, it can send me scrambling to the deepest depths with the families whom have lost. Thank goodness, there are more ups than downs in this profession. I get to meet wonderful people who want to have a warm and fuzzy birth experience. I get to take a journey with every mother and hold so many beautiful babes. This is my dream job.

Entering my front door and hearing a cheering sound I hold my arms out wide for the two figures that rush in to my embrace. Ah yes, perhaps this is the ultimate dream job. Being a Mom and having these loving children. Yes, this is definitely it.